Gaby, Apollo, Remy and Prada

Gaby, Apollo, Remy and Prada

Frequently Asked Questions

Please read through the FAQs BEFORE filling out an application for assistance.


What is a C.A.R.E Kit?  How can you help me with my dog?

C.A.R.E. Kit stands for Canine Assistance, Resource and Empowerment.  C.A.R.E. Kits are customized for you and your dogs particular needs and benefit the people in the family as well as their dogs.  C.A.R.E. Kits are delivered monthly to your house and can include food, treats and equipment such as leashes collars, harnesses and crates. Other services we provide include behavioral training, vaccinations, spay/neuter assistance and some vet care.  Please note, all services are dependent on available resources - all services may not be available at all times.

I need to find a home for my dog.  Can you help?

We do not rescue or foster dogs.  We do not operate a kennel or shelter.  If you need to rehome your dog and live in the Greater Springfield MA area, please contact Dakin Humane Society at 413-781-4000 to arrange an appointment to surrender your dog.

I found a stray animal.  What should I do?

If you found the animal in Springfield, Chicopee or Holyoke, please contact Thomas J. O'Connor Animal Control and Adoption Center at 413-781-1484.  Please note that Dakin Humane Society does not take stray animals.  If you found the animal in a city other than the ones listed earlier, contact your local animal control officer for assistance.

Do families have to live in certain areas of Western MA to receive assistance?

Yes.  We currently have resources and volunteers to serve families living in the following Western MA cities:  Agawam, Chicopee, East Longmeadow, Holyoke, Indian Orchard, Springfield, South Hadley, Westfield and West Springfield.  If you are in need of a Kondo (dog house) we will consider special circumstances for towns outside these areas.

Are there income requirements to apply for assistance?

Yes, we can only take applications from families who are receiving some form of federal, state or local aid.  This includes food stamps, WIC, transitional assistance, fuel assistance, unemployment, disability (SSI or SSDI), Meals on Wheels and/or Mass Health/Medicaid.

My dog is sick.  Can you help me with vet care?

Our vet fund is limited and dependent on resources at hand.  Our vet fund is designed to assist our current families with vaccinations and minor ailments such as ear and skin infections, small wounds, stomach issues and such.  We currently do not have funding for serious, emergency or chronic conditions such as kidney failure, diabetes, cancer, broken bones, blockages, torn ACL's and dental disease.  We suggest contacting Second Chance Wellness Clinic at 413-739-2343, located at 501 Belmont Ave in Springfield.  They offer subsidized rates based on income and low cost vaccination clinics.  We also recommend visiting the Dakin Humane Society for information on their low cost vaccination clinics.

Can you help me find dog-friendly housing?

Our Tenant Advocacy program works with local property managers and landlords to identify dog-friendly housing options.  For more information, please fill out an application and we will connect you with our Tenant Advocacy Specialist.

I heard you give out dog houses.  How can I get one?

Please fill out the application for assistance.  We will contact you to discuss your dog's situation.  

Do you only help people with pit bull dogs?

No, we help all breeds of dog.  At times, due to funding restrictions, we may have a waiting list for new families.

Can you help my cat?

Unfortunately at this time we can only assist dog owners.  In the Greater Springfield Area, we suggest contacting the following organizations:  Concerned Citizens for Animals and Homeless Cat Project

Can I report animal abuse/cruelty to your organization?

While we work closely with Animal Control Officers, please report all suspected cruelty/neglect to the MSPCA Law Enforcement division or your local Animal Control Officer. We have relationships with ACO's in the towns of Agawam, Chicopee, Holyoke, Springfield, Southwick, and West Springfield.